I have been away from GCE for quite a few months, but now I am able to write again.  Here is an interview I did some time ago.  I was at a little restaurant, and Sierra was working there.

AN INTERVIEW WITH SIERRA (girl, age 16)

Nancy:  What have you been doing this week?

Sierra:  I go to school every day and I work.

Nancy:  What kind of work do you do?

Sierra:  I work here.  It’s a fast food restaurant, and I run the cash register.* I have been working here four months.

Nancy:  Do you like it?

Sierra:  Yes.  Everybody is nice.  We work as a team.

Nancy:  What will you do this weekend? 

Sierra:  I’ll work.  I have four-hour shifts.*  I’ll hang out* with my friends and enjoy my day out of school.

Nancy:  You don’t have school on Monday, right?

Sierra:  It’s Veterans Day* in memory of the soldiers.

Nancy:  What do you want to do after you finish high school?

Sierra:  I want to go to community college* for two years and become a dental assistant.*  I had braces* and I watched them working with my teeth.  I want to help other people with their teeth.

Nancy:  Is there anything that you would like to say to kids in Afghanistan?

Sierra:  Hi.  How’s your life in Afghanistan?

SOME VOCABULARY

Cash register  A machine printing bills for customers.

Shift  The hours that a person works in one day is a "shift."

Hang out  This is informal English.  It means sit and relax and talk.

Veterans Day  This holiday is on the Monday nearest to November 11.  World War I ended on November 11.  Now the holiday is a day to say thank you to all the people who have worked as soldiers.

Community college These schools are similar to the first two years of university. 

Dental assistant  The person who helps a dentist.

Braces  These are the wires that some young people must wear on their teeth to make their teeth straighter.

SOME DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1.  Sierra wants to know about your life in Afghanistan.  If you could talk to her, what would you tell her?  What do you like to do each week?  What is good or bad about life in your city?

2.  Do you go to a dentist?  Do you think dentistry might be an interesting career?  Why or why not?

Views: 167

Replies to This Discussion

surely,i will try to teach you more thing Afghanistan

thanks 

Thank you!

thank you

Hello Dear Madam,
Hope you are doing well!
Thank you, ever so much for the very wonderful interview which you have shared with us.
My life in Afghanistan good and we are so happy in our country but still
We have got some problems here like security
In week, as usual I go to school and course because I want make a good and bright future for myself and to serve my nation.
The dentistry job is so good job and clean job and I truly love it.
Thanks,
Hazrat Yousef Waheedi Shaheed M Arif AYC
Hello Dear Madam,
Hope you are doing well!
Thank you, ever so much for the very wonderful interview which you have shared with us.
In week, as usual I go to school and course because I want make a good and bright future for myself and to serve my nation.
Thanks,
Hello Dear Madam,
Hope you are doing well!
Thanks,
Hello Dear Madam,
Hope you are doing well!
Thanks,

Thank you for writing, Hazrat.  I'm glad that you can go to school and I am glad that the security problem does not stop students from going to school and learning.  You are very right about education.  It is important if we want a bright future.

Yeah, you are truly right dear madam. Thank you, for you very great and nice feedback. Truly love and appreciated.!

And I thank you!

Hello Dear Madam,
Hope you are doing well!
Thanks,

Hello dear madam I hope u fine and doing well

According to your first Q. life in Afghanistan is good but it has security problems. Everyday bombblstin bombing and clashes with terrorist in Afghanistan. Nowadays Afghanistan is gruella. In that satiation the people think how they spend their life in Afghanistan.

City life is comfortable than village life

In city is secure place for life and has more ease and city has a lot of schools, shop markets, and hospitals….etc.

The bad thing in city life is air pollution a lot of garbage and rushes. But I like city life. We have to save our city clean

I like to do each week going to school, courses, and study extra books. Every Friday I have a small party with friends,

No I don’t went to dentist but now I want to go dentist to clans my teeth

Sheersah

From, shahed M, AYC

RSS

© 2018   Created by GCE Afghanistan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service