AN INTERVIEW WITH ROBERTA  (girl, age 21)

This interview is with a girl from Northern Ireland who is studying in the U.S. in our capital city, Washington D.C.

Nancy:  What have you been doing this week?

Roberta:  I went to the cinema at the start of the week.  I’ve been at college all week.  I was very sick.  I managed to get an ear infection, bronchitis* and a muscle strain* all at the same time.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday.

Nancy:  How did you get well?

Roberta:  I’ve been on antibiotics and I’ve slept a lot.

Nancy:  What are you studying?

Roberta:  Business and business management.

Nancy:  How did you come to the US this year?

Roberta:  It’s a program that the British Council runs.  At the end of the year I have to write a project about the differences between the US and Northern Ireland as places to work and all the differences in American culture.

Nancy:  What have you noticed?

Roberta:  A lot of people go to college here.  People are educated.  There are a lot of businesses so people here have a business orientation.  In Northern Ireland there isn’t so much of a private sector.*  America is very big.  Northern Ireland has about 1.6 million people, the size of a small city here.  There are about 18 million people in New York City.  There are cars everywhere in America.  The food is different.  There are lots of hamburgers and fries* and lots of Italian pasta.  America is very diverse.*  There are lots of cultures here.  At home there is only one.

Nancy:  What have you seen in D.C.?

Roberta:  I’ve seen the monuments like the Abraham Lincoln monument and the museums.  I’ve been to the White House where the President lives.

Nancy:  What was your favorite?

Roberta:  The Air and Space Museum.  It was fantastic and my favorite.  I saw the space shuttle there.

Nancy:  Is there anything that you would like to say to kids in Afghanistan?

Roberta:  Hello.  And my favorite verse from the Bible: Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young but set an example* in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

SOME VOCABULARY

Bronchitis  An infection in the lungs

Muscle strain  An injury to muscles because the muscle had to work too hard

Private sector  Jobs that aren’t from the government are private sector.  Government jobs are public sector.

Fries  Potatoes that are cooked in hot oil.

Diverse  Diverse means “includes many different kinds of people.”

Set an example  If you set an example, you live in a good way so that other people can see how they should live.

SOME DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1.  Have you been sick recently?  When you are sick, is it easy or difficult for you to get medical care?

2.  Do you know someone who sets a good example for you?  Why do you want to be like this person?

Views: 986

Replies to This Discussion

Hello deer Nancy madam

I hope you will be fine and healthy and have a good time with your family and friends

According your first question. Yes I have been sick until 5 day ago .when I play volleyball

In city park Kabul and the park is very dirty that I see the dirty plays but I play volleyball

But the weather is not cline then I have flu.

2tap. Flu sick is very shamed  sick because when you talk to anther not very well talk

For me is difficult to take medicine but i am compelled to take a medicine.

According your second question

Yes my friend is sets for me a good example because that parson is friendly for me

And he is like my nippy is so important for me because he is so intelligent person 

And he is senior then me

Thanks for your interview 

Ahmad Khalid from Shaheed M Arif AYC

I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill, Ahmad.  I hope you will feel better soon.  Your older friend sounds like a good friend.  Do you play volleyball together?

Thank you for your message.

Hello deer madam Nancy   

According your frats question

I have been sick 2 days actually 6days ago I swam in river after that I got to medical care.

It is easy for me Yes my c cousin sets for me a good Example

, because this parson is Friendly for me He is like my friend and so important for me

Because he so intelligent parson for me and He is small than me.

I'm sorry to hear that you were sick, Khalid.  Perhaps the weather and the river are cold nowadays.  Your younger cousin sounds like a good friend.  Do you see him often?  Or does he live far away from you?

Hello Dear madam Nancy

Thanks for sharing such nice and interesting interview with us

Yes I was sick two days ago I had hay fever it was very easy to go to medical for checkup and the doctor told me that you should take rest for five days or six days and prescribe the medicine. Now I am blessed from Allah and now I am fine.

My uncle sets a good example for me. Because he is Very kind he has a good morality and and he attempt me for education.  

With best regard

Ameen Bilal

Istiqlal AYC

I'm very glad that you are feeling better, Ameen.  Your uncle sounds like an important person in your life.  You are blessed to have an uncle who is kind and encourages you in education.

Hello dear madam

I wish you fine and doing well and healthy

According of your first question yes madam I been sick 2 week ago because when I go to our city because our city is very dirty and all of Afghanistan people try and say to government. And we also want to clean our house and our country but we can not

And I try to be safe myself   and I try I will be perform it for myself. But now I am flue and I don’t like flue because every time when I go to some place when I came I have sick/flue.

And I never want to sick I want to be healthy.

Thanks

Hijratullah Muslim shaheed M arif AYC

Here we say that winter is "the colds and flu season."  If the air in your city is polluted, that makes even more problems for breathing.  I'm sorry that you and your family have been sick, HIjratullah.

yes madam  this is a big problem of our country and winter is a flu season

thanks.

I hope you will feel healthier soon, Hijratullah.

Hello dear madam Nancy.
I hope you are fine and doing well.
Thanks a lot from you to sharing interview with us.
Yes I have been sick recently when I am sick it is very difficult for me to get medical care.
Yes I know my cousin who sets a good example for me I want to be like this person because he is a good doctor and he do service for people and I also like to do service for our people, in this reason I like to be a good doctor.
Thanks a lot.
Ahmad Bilal Ahmadi.
From Shahed M R High school.

I am sorry that you have been ill, Ahmad, and I hope that you will feel better soon.  Your cousin sounds like a good man who uses his skills to help others.   I hope that you will achieve your dream of being a doctor and be able to serve as your cousin does.

RSS

© 2018   Created by GCE Afghanistan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service