AN INTERVIEW WITH AMANDA (girl, age 13) FROM ALBANIA

Nancy:  What have you been doing this week?

Amanda:  I first wake up in the morning and I get ready for school, and the school starts at 8:30.  I have nine classes, forty-five minutes each, in school and they finish at a quarter to four.  Then I come home.  Some days I have an English course or a volleyball course.  On Monday and Thursday, I have an English course, and on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, I have volleyball.  In the weekend, I go shopping or go to the cinema.*  Then in the afternoons I always read a book or do my homework.  In the evening, I always watch TV or get on the computer.

Nancy:  Why do you do volleyball?

Amanda:  Because it’s my favorite sport.  I enjoy it a lot.  I play on the Partizani Voli team.  Now on June first we will start to compete with other teams.  We’re number ten, so we have a lot of work to do.

Nancy:  Why do you take the English course after school?

Amanda:  I study English because I want to go outside of our country to go to school.  I want to become an economist.  I also study English at school.

Nancy:  Where would you like to go to university?

Amanda:  I would like to go to university in Italy.  I would like to work as an economist in a bank and start a new life, like a grownup.

Nancy:  Is there anything else special happening in your life now?

Amanda:   Well, I’m going to do a spelling bee* through the US Embassy.  This is my second time.  Last time I got third place.

Nancy:  Is your life different than your father’s life was when he was thirteen?

Amanda:  Life has changed a lot.  In my father’s time, they didn’t have a lot of things like I do.  My father ate bread and oil.  I eat hamburgers and fast food, so I can’t complain.  Now school is harder than it was then.  I play computer games, but my father played with stones and a plastic ball.

Nancy:  Is there anything that you would like to say to kids in Afghanistan?

Amanda:  We can always look on the bright side.  Things could be worse.*

SOME VOCABULARY

Cinema  Americans usually say ‘the movies’ but in British English, people say ‘the cinema.’

Spelling bee  This is a traditional kind of contest to see who can spell the most words correctly.

Look on the bright side.  Things could be worse.  This is a traditional saying and means that we can always see something positive in our situation.  For example, if we have bad shoes, we can think, “Some other people have no feet.  I am happy that I have shoes.”

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1.  Life for Amanda is very different from the life her father had as a child.  How is your life different from life when your parents were young?

2.   What are two of the happy things (bright side) in your life?

Views: 704

Replies to This Discussion

I have been away from GCE for some months, but now I am back.  I am not sure if you will get this message, Irfanullah.  I hope you can read my message.  I thank you for writing and for telling me important things about life in your community.

Hello Dear Madam Nancy Ackles

Hope that your fine and doing well thank you so much once again for sharing this wonderful and great interview with AYC and GCE Members it’s truly awesome we all guys read the whole story of Amanda that was too much useful for all of us.

I had been busy with a lot of home side works we started working on new building for ourselves you know better that it’s one of hard task when I wake up early in the morning I check up all the labor works until 5:00 pm and beside of that I have the responsibility of Monitoring of my house because of Dad give this task to me that’s the story of me that I am so much busy now a days now I return back to your interview questions  actually the life of my family is different from me when they are teenaged. Our life is more modern than them because of we are studding new methods and the studied and they studied old one now we study technology but on that time they are were no technology.

Actually the two happy things in my life are the have a peaceful Afghanistan and be the Top leader of Afghanistan by doing all services to our country people and rich them with high quality knowledge.

Sincerely Himmatullah Salih the Councilor Member of AYC 

I have been away from GCE for several months because I had work that I had to do and could not do GCE too.  Now I am back and I hope that you get this message.  I enjoyed reading your well-written message, and I hope that you get this message and that you will be able to write again.  i enjoy learning about life in your country.

HowdY nancy madam,
i hope you will be fine and helthy and time is goinh well,
Thank you for sharing ever such a nice interviews,
Actually time is usually changing every things as useual my parents life was not as mine.
They were the people who lived in village just to make life well.
But now we are at city so i always trying to become an educated one but my parents were uneducated.
Well,i have wish to got the best position in kankor exame over the country.
And to study my favorate field Of university.
BEST REGARD
imran wakeel

I have been away from GCE for several months, Imran,  Now I am back, and I hope that you get my message.  I hope that perhaps you are at university now, and if you are not at university, I hope that you are able to work at a useful job.  

Hello dear madam

I hope you’re good. And have fun with your family I am interest that share a good information with us.

According to your first Q: living today is more comfortable and easier than when our grandparents was children

1. Technology has made modern. Day life much more comfortable than in the past during my grandparents time life was rough and hard because all the work was done without any modern tool.

So they had to do their laundry by hand. Walked from one place to another by feet.

According to your second Q: two things in my life one is my love and my family.

Sheershah shaheed M arif AYC class

i am glad that you have become part of this group, Sheershah, and I look forward to hearing more from you.  I have been away fro GCE for several months, but now I am back and can reply to messages.  

I'm glad that you have a happy family!

Hello dear madam I hope you fine and healthy

Welcome back to GCE again and I am so glad to see you again and GCE

Sheershah Sardarzai, from Shaheed M afir AYC

Thank you!  I am happy to be back.

Hello dear Nancy

I hope you will be fine and healthy and you have happy time with family and friends and life going well

The post you shared with us is very interesting and it has benefits for students to improve their English writing and reading according to your first question my parents were lived in a rural place when they were young and the were so simple and they were shepherd but now they changed their life and come to the city and now exactly know that technology has been Improved my life is very different from mine parents life because I have access to technology and computer but they did not had. And two things in mine life are very important and give me always happiness

One is mine book and the second one is mine computer

Best regard

Sangar haidari  from shaheed m arif school AYC 

Thank you for your kind words, Sangar, and thank you for joining this group.  I hope that you will communicate with the group often.  It sounds like you are a person who likes to learn many things, and surely books and computers can help us learn much about the world.  I like learning about Afghanistan.

Hello Dear Madam,

Hope you are doing!

Thank you, very much for sharing such an interesting interview with us. In fact, I truly love reading and writing to your interviews and I always learn some new words from your interviews.

About first question: ancient life was very simple now a day’s life is much modern now which facility we have in this present time it was not existence.

In that time in our country fight poverty and many other problems has created lots of troubles for our people.

Now life is very beautiful in this time we have not truthfulness in

The life in that time war was cover the hole word people was have much problem in there daily life people was con not improve there life because there was lack of education word and people was not advancement. A lot of people was ignorant.

About second question: bright side of my life is my parents and my education.

Thank you,

Mustafa Adil From Shaheed M Arif AYC Lab 

RSS

© 2017   Created by GCE Afghanistan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service